Skip to Main Content

Take action against fraud

What to do if you become a victim of fraud

Report Identity Theft

Take immediate action if your identity has been stolen. Helpful information can also be found on the FTC web site.

  1. Obtain Documentation

    Maintain a journal of what happened, who you have contacted, what was lost or stolen, and the steps you have taken to report the incident to the various agencies, banks, and firms impacted.

  2. File a police report

    Tell the police someone stole your identity and you need to file a report. Go to your local police station with:

    • a government issued ID with a photo
    • proof of your address (mortgage statement, rental agreement, or utilities bill)
    • any other proof you have of the theft (bills, IRS notices, etc.)

    Ask for a copy of the police report.

  3. Contact a credit bureau and place a fraud report on your record

    Contact any one of the three consumer reporting companies to place a fraud alert on your record and to order copies of your credit report. The company you call is required to contact the other two, which will place a fraud alert on their versions of your report, too.

    You will have a 90-day freeze on your credit file. If needed, you can request an extension of the 90-day freeze. Review your credit report thoroughly and dispute any fraudulent information.

  4. Contact these companies

    Contact your bank, credit card companies, and anyone else with whom you have an account.
    Close the accounts that you know, or believe, have been tampered with or opened fraudulently. Also, report any lost or stolen checks or credit cards.

    For First Horizon Bank accounts, contact Client Services at 800-382-5465 or visit a First Horizon Bank branch.

    Contact the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) at 877-IDTHEFT (877-438-4338) or submit an identity theft report online at

    Contact your utilities company and your telephone company to put a fraud alert on your accounts.

    Contact the post office to see if there are any other addresses in your name. If so, this is an indication that a change of address form has been filed without your knowledge and your mail is being diverted.

    Contact your state department of motor vehicles to find out if the department has issued an unauthorized license number in your name.

    Contact the Social Security Administrations’ Fraud Hotline at 800-269-0271 to report any unauthorized use of your personal identifying information. Obtain a Social Security Administration (SSA) report to determine whether benefits have been paid out in your name.

Report suspicious or fraudulent activity

To report confirmed fraud or suspicious activity on your account, contact Client Services at 800-382-5465 or visit your local branch. 

Report suspicious email, website(s), or text messages

If you suspect an email or text message is fraudulent, do not submit any personal information and forward the email or text message to

Report lost or stolen card(s) or check(s)

Report any lost or stolen First Horizon Bank card(s) or check(s) immediately by calling Client Services at 800-382-5465 or visiting your local branch.

Travel Notification

If you are traveling and plan on using your First Horizon Bank debit or credit card, call Client Services at 800-382-5465 before you leave to help minimize any potential disruption in using your card.

Need more info?